This discussion is regarding the redesign of the region pages.
Please link to examples and drafts in this numbered list and refer to entries by number instead of populating the page itself with content. Append new entries to the bottom of the list.
- ATLAS_Wiki_talk:Community_portal Initial request.
- Talk:Region_L10 The topic re-emerges.
As mentioned in both #1 and #2, we need to redo the region pages to better handle information pertaining to specific islands and not just the region as a whole. This should at a minimum include discoveries, resources, consumables and animals.
There are ~707 islands with a total of 235 variations in resources, consumables and animals (not to be confused with 225 regions), which means that once we figure out what's on 235 of the islands we've got them all. Vemsvims (talk) 13:57, 1 March 2019 (UTC)
I think #4 is a good start, i will try to parse a resource table from it, atm a editor has to edit the region and the resource page, fmu editing the region should be enough (#3 does not seems to support this). Kummba12 (talk) 08:44, 6 March 2019 (UTC)
- Yeah, mine (#3) was more a suggestion for the page's overall layout - especially based on the feedback about additionally including Discoveries under islands - as opposed to how to store and convey data. I was mainly focused on the aesthetics of the presentation. :) --DevlinOnline (talk) 18:08, 6 March 2019 (UTC)
- Yeah layout aesthetics are important too, my dream is that editors only fill in the resource (,discovery and stuff) in the island (template call). The Layout of the region and the Resource Table (eg. Silver) are generated of this data then. Atm some edit the resource, some the island and some both. I am waiting for an admin to generate a cargo table atm.
- What is needed for discoverys: Region; Coords; Island; Name; Notes ?
- Kummba12 (talk) 20:01, 6 March 2019 (UTC)
- Yeah I'm with ya. That would be a lot easier, and certainly would keep pages more in-line. This is probably a separate thing entirely, but would that also be able to populate the tables on the individual animal/plant/resource pages, too? Like if someone says there are bears on the K9 region page, then a "K9" would appear on the Bear page, as well? Aside from the manual entries of the subpages on the region pages currently, that overlap also seems to be a place where the information isn't lining up.
- When it comes to Discoveries, there are two things happening currently. I have the discoveries subpages transcluded on all the region pages as well as on Discoveries, so that can have an informative list of all the zones in the game on one page. I'd like to preserve that individual listing on the region pages, if possible, as it quickly and efficiently allows a player to see which discovery they might be missing compared to the in-game menu, as well as quickly showing them coordinates to use in a marker to find it. If that's to be included in the table, then I'd say those column headers would work fine. It was also proposed that perhaps it would be nice to represent them visually (an example of that being User:DevlinOnline/sandbox#Proclamation_Path). I initially felt the visual representation was redundant because, in my opinion, it takes up more space than needed when just entering the coordinates in-game would do the same thing. And I sort of feel like players are going to end up putting the coordinates in anyway. That said, I'm open to including it nonetheless and happy either way. --DevlinOnline (talk) 00:16, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- We're going to have to mess around a bit more with Cargo before going all in. It's great for getting database-like functionality, but at the same time it appears a bit wonky at best. Pages with cargo calls must be purged after editing any information on that page or else it will parse raw code. Try making the smallest of edits to #4, save it and look at how it turns out. Purge to fix. The easy and permanent fix would be to implement the nocache module, but depending on the extra load on the servers and increased response times it might not be welcomed by GP, who also would have to install this. My use of cargo also has two known flaws implemented which most likely can be rewritten instead of using nocache, but a tradeoff here is that one of the flaws is the use of a template as the output and not some generic looking table. As for using any combination of data from the table elsewhere; yes, this should be doable (like the K9 bear scenario). One map can also hold multiple markers, so maybe congregating them all on one map per island could be an alternative. Let's keep at it and see how it goes, but maybe not rush it live before it's solid and user friendly. Vemsvims (talk) 01:22, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
Kummba12 (talk) 08:10, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for both of your input. Foremost, when the map is not changing dramaticly (Resource, animal ... allocation) i would not enforce a change to the storing of data. It seems alot of work to merge the existing Regions into a new system, also for Resource per Island, information is missing / na. If all already gathered information will become void, we are free to store them in a new way.
- Regarding Cargos and Purge : New data is not added to the table imediatly (?)- I tried to instance an island (like #4) in my Sandbox, it was not added to the table. So the table has to be purged? Isnt that a job for a Bot.
- but maybe not rush it live before it's solid and user friendly - totally agree. I will play PTR anyway, also to see what changed on the Regions. PS: Put my part into Sigs
Kummba12 (talk) 08:10, 7 March 2019 (UTC)