|A lot of mystery surrounds the principal inventor of the Glider Suit. While there is no direct line back to whomever created it, the original blueprint is stamp-marked with the initials "V. T."|
It's said that a reward exists for anyone who learns their real name.
As the name suggests, the Glider Suit enables the wearer to glide through the air. It can be very useful for traveling from ship to ship on the open ocean or for a speedy return from a mountain top.
To use the glider suit, place it in one of your hotbar slots. Climb to a high vantage point and jump off. A moment later, Jump again to activate glide mode.
- Gliding is quite fast.
- Descent is also quite fast.
- As of a recent patch, they have been nerfed to plummet to the ground if you double tap shift
- Don't believe that they can vertically ascend, as that has been nerfed as well!
Novice gliders should start by running along a beach and tapping Jump twice. You will get a few seconds in the air, then be back safely on the ground. Once you're comfortable with that action, try jumping from the crows nest on top of your ship's mast. Jump in the direction of the water as you're likely to make mistakes and hitting the ground can be a painful learning experience. Once you've successfully glided into the water a few times, aim for the beach. Once you're comfortable landing on the beach, you're ready to tackle all the world has to offer.
- Per patch v315.18 - Prevented grenades from being thrown when a glider is equipped.
- Per patch v519.5 - Glider Suit may now only be activated under 110 meters height (about the height of the lighthouse)
- Per patch v521.6 - Various changes were made to the Glider to make it more fun and useful while trying to address some previous exploits. It will likely undergo more changes as we hear feedback and discover abuse cases.
- Restored the ability to control pitch so you can now glide up and down
- Increased the max height to activate from 100m to 400m
- Slowed the base glider speed down by around 40%
- Added a drag component to the speed updates
- The faster you are going, the more drag will slow you down
- Prevents maintaining high speed for a long time after a dive
- Reduced the minimum speed you can glide at before you stall to about 2m per second
- Changed the dive angle and required dive time
- Glider Known Issues:
- You can still gain height but it's slow
- You can still glide across half a server if you jump off a 400m spot
- It's hard to tell when you are about to stall
- Sometimes at super slow speed you inexplicably corkscrew
- Pressing the 'Dive' button (Shift by default on PC) results in a weird sideways dive
The image below depicts a wayfarer wearing a glider suit.